Kybella™ is an FDA-approved, non-surgical option for removal of mild to moderate amounts of fat below the chin and jawline. Effective for both men and women, this non-surgical option for improving the contour of the neck is available at the St. Louis office of West County Plastic Surgeons. Kybella™ requires no anesthesia and has no downtime associated with it. Kybella™ is actually pure deoxycholic acid, a chemical that is made naturally in your body by the pancreas to digest fatty materials.
To find out if Kybella™ is right for you, contact our St. Louis office by phoning 314-996-8800, requesting your consultation online, or emailing us today.
Details about Kybella™ for St. Louis Residents
West County Plastic Surgeons of St. Louis uses Kybella™ to damage the fat cells in the neck just below the skin and in front of the platysma muscle. Over the next month, damaged fat cells are digested by your own immune system, leading to fewer fat cells and an improved neck contour.
The entire procedure takes less than 30 minutes and requires no pain medicine other than ibuprofen or plain Tylenol and ice. No dressings are required after the procedure. While you can notice improvement in one session, most patients will require two to four sessions to achieve their desired results. Some patients in the studies prior to the launch of Kybella™ had as many as six treatments. Treatments are spaced out at least one month apart. Moderate tenderness develops for a few hours after each treatment, again managed with ice and ibuprofen. Swelling and bruising for a few days after the procedure are the most common side effects, and no major long-term side effects are reported.
Assuming stable body weight, Kybella™ produces permanent results.
- Anesthesia: Ice pack. Ibuprofen 30-60 minutes before treatment.
- Length of procedure: 15-30 minutes or less
- Estimated recovery time: Swelling lasts for 4-7 days. Treatments are spaced out by at least a month and repeated to desired effect. Most people require 2 to 4 treatments.
- Side effects: Kybella™ can cause bruising, swelling and tenderness under the chin, all of which should resolve within one to three weeks. A small percentage of people report subjective feelings of difficulty with swallowing or some changes with the appearance of their smile. These also resolve within days to weeks.
Procedures That Complement Kybella™
The following procedures complement Kybella™, helping patients achieve optimal aesthetic results:
- Ultherapy®. While Kybella™ literally removes fat cells from under the jaw and neck, Ultherapy® is FDA-approved to tighten the overlying neck skin. Ultherapy® is another non-surgical procedure with no downtown with proven results for individuals who want to improve the contour of their neck or face without surgery. Therefore Kybella™ is used to remove fat cells in the neck, and Ultherapy® is used to tighten the neck skin.
- CoolSculpting®. Stubborn pockets of fat respond well to CoolSculpting®, a new technology that reduces fat through cryolipolysis (fat breakdown through cooling). This non-invasive, non-surgical body-sculpting procedure works well on many of the same areas of the body that are prone to cellulite.
- Cellfina™. 85% of women have cellulite. West County Plastic Surgeons is the first practice in St. Louis and the surrounding region to offer the Cellfina ™ System, a minimally invasive, office-based therapy for the treatment of cellulite on the buttocks and thighs. In a recent study sponsored by Cabochon Aesthetics, Inc.,* Cellfina earned a 94% patient satisfaction rate after one year and a 96% rate at least two years after the treatment.
*Cabochon Aesthetics has since been acquired by Ulthera, Inc., which manufactures the Cellfina ™ System.