BOTOX® TREATMENTS IN ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI
What is BOTOX®?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is an injectable medication available at our St. Louis practice to treat fine lines and wrinkles caused by the repetitive contraction of specific underlying facial muscles. It works by quickly and safely inactivating those muscles, leading to smoother-looking skin and a rested, rejuvenated appearance. At West County Plastic Surgeons, we often use BOTOX® to help our St. Louis patients diminish the appearance of horizontal lines on the forehead, frown lines between the eyebrows, and crow’s feet around the eyes. We also use this medication to decrease excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) of the palms and armpits.
The amount of medication injected is measured in units and determined by the size of the treatment area and/or the depth of the wrinkles. Large areas and deep wrinkles require more units than small areas with superficial wrinkles. Results from most treatments last approximately 3 months.
To schedule your appointment for BOTOX®, contact our St. Louis office by phoning (314) 996-8800, requesting your consultation online, or emailing us today.
BOTOX® for Saint Louis: What Can It Treat?
At West County Plastic Surgeons, we most commonly use BOTOX® to help our St. Louis patients achieve the following results:
- Reduce wrinkles between the eyes. BOTOX® is an excellent choice for treating deep wrinkles between the eyes, often referred to as or glabellar frown lines. The specific glabellar muscles treated in this area include the corrugator supercilii and procerus muscles. Injections in this region typically require 15 to 30 units of medication.
- Minimize forehead wrinkles. Creases that extend across the forehead form when the frontalis muscle is activated to raise the eyebrows. These transverse forehead rhytids are usually treated with 20 to 45 units.
- Decrease appearance of “bunny lines” on the nose bridge. A crease known as a “bunny line” can form across the bridge of the nose when the nasalis muscle is active. Usually, 5 to 10 units of BOTOX® minimizes this wrinkle for most St. Louis patients.
- Smooth crow’s feet or wrinkles on the sides of the eyes. BOTOX® is an excellent choice for St. Louis residents who wish to reduce the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes. The oribicularis oculi muscle is responsible for eye closure, and it extends from around the eyelids to the bone of the eye sockets. Over time, activity of this muscle causes wrinkles known as “crow’s feet” on the sides of the eye sockets. Relaxing these muscles reduces crow’s feet without compromising eye movements or eyelid closure.
- Lift the eyebrows. BOTOX® also helps our St. Louis patients achieve a natural-looking, nonsurgical brow lift. Here’s how it works: Since the position of our eyebrows is determined by the fine balance between forces that pull the eyebrows up and down, the skilled BOTOX® injectors at our St. Louis practice target and weaken the muscles that pull the eyebrows down, allowing the forces that pull the brows up to have an advantage. As a result, the brows are naturally raised. In addition, the outer part of the frontalis muscle elevates the eyebrows, while the upper part of the orbicularis oculi moves the eyebrows down to close the eyes. The skillful placement of BOTOX® into the upper, outer part of the orbicularis oculi enables the frontal muscle to pull the eyebrows into an attractively arched position since the oribicularis oculi has been strategically weakened in this area. At West County Plastic Surgeons, we typically perform a BOTOX® chemical browlift for our St. Louis patients in conjunction with treatment for crow’s feet and horizontal forehead lines, so the combined procedures dictate the number of units required.
- Help plump the upper and lower lips. Typically, hyaluronic acid dermal fillers such as JUVÉDERM® are used to add volume to the lips because they tend to last longer in areas where there is less motion. However, when BOTOX® is carefully applied to weaken the orbicularis oris muscle, which helps us purse our lips, it can reduce motion in specific, targeted areas to optimize the effects of a lip augmentation procedure. When used with a dermal filler, we administer only small doses of BOTOX® (2.5 to 7.5 units) to our St. Louis patients for this procedure.
- Reduce neck (platysmal) bands. Soft tissue cords in the neck, sometimes referred to as platysmal bands, can be nonsurgically treated with BOTOX®. In these cases, the medication is injected into the bands, which may be overemphasized due to activity of the platysma, a superficial neck muscle. Strategic weakening of the platysma with BOTOX® can effectively reduce the appearance of these bands without affecting neck function. The amount of medication required to treat platysmal bands varies considerably, depending on the extent of the condition.
- Treat sweaty palms. Extensive sweating of the palms, also known as hyperhidrosis, can be functionally and socially disruptive. When skillfully injected into the palms, BOTOX can effectively block sweat gland function in our Saint Louis patients. The dose necessary to treat palm sweating varies from patient to patient, but is usually 50 to 100 units per palm.
- Treat sweaty armpits. This medication can also be used to block the function of sweat glands, thereby reducing potentially embarrassing excessive armpit sweating (hyperhidrosis) for approximately 3 months. The effective dose to treat armpit sweating varies from patient to patient, but is usually 25 units per armpit.
- Balance facial muscles following facial paralysis. Facial nerve paralysis causes loss of facial expression to the affected side. Recovery from facial nerve paralysis can also lead to abnormal, often excessive facial movements and expression referred to as hyperkinesis. At rest, some features of the paralyzed side do not necessarily appear abnormal until they are directly compared with the normal side. The skillful administration of BOTOX can minimize unwanted hyperkinesis by intentionally weakening the normal side so that it matches the injured side, thereby improving balance and harmony between both sides of the face.
Before & After
Visit our Photo Gallery to see our patient results.
*Results may vary.View Patient Results
Length of procedure: 15 minutes
Estimated recovery time: Immediate
Before-and-after photos: Click here to view photos of the effects of BOTOX® and dermal fillers.