- What You Need to Know About a Mommy Makeover
- A Brief History of Lip Injections
- An effective nonsurgical alternative to liposuction
- Breast Augmentation
- What Sets Laser Lipo Apart?
We all store body fat differently, which is why each person’s body shape is unique. For some people, the lower body might be where they usually gain weight first, while for others, it may be the midsection. A tummy tuck, also known by the medical term abdominoplasty, can sculpt a flatter, more toned abdominal area by tightening or removing skin and reducing excess fat from the stomach area. Weakened abdominal muscles after pregnancy or weight loss can also be restored. Our West County Plastic Surgeons of Washington University team provides an extensive range of plastic surgery for patients. There are major cosmetic surgery benefits for St. Louis-based patients and the advantages of these treatments, such as those associated with tummy tucks, greatly outweigh any possible risks for patients who are seeking these procedures.
The best treatment for you depends on your unique anatomy and goals, so we will assess each patient on a case-by-case basis to determine what approach they should take. If you meet the following criteria, you may be considered an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck.
- You are physically healthy and at a stable weight.
- You maintain realistic expectations about the benefits and potential outcome of this type of surgery.
- You’re a non-smoker.
- You have loose, hanging, or sagging skin, excess stubborn fat that is resistant to dietary changes and exercise, and/or separation of the sit-up muscles on the abdomen.
- You dislike the appearance of your stomach area.
- You’re close to the ideal weight range for your height and body type.
- You’re not pregnant and don’t plan to become pregnant in the future.
- You have maintained a healthy, stable weight for at least a year prior to the surgery.
A tummy tuck should not be thought of as a weight loss procedure but rather a way to remove excess skin and fat that you haven’t been able to improve through healthy lifestyle choices alone. Patients with certain illnesses or general health problems may not be good candidates.
Want to discover more about cosmetic surgery benefits for St. Louis patients? Our West County Plastic Surgeons of Washington University team will provide more information about tummy tucks or any other procedure you might be interested in. Call us at (314) 996-8800 or fill out a contact form to request a consultation if you’re interested in learning more about what’s involved.